Alta Planning and Design
Alta/Greenways led the development of WalkBikeNC, North Carolina Department of Transportation’s pedestrian and bicycle statewide master plan update and worked to ensure that health was a strong component.
- Our organization identified existing best practices for incorporating health into pedestrian and bicycle planning;
- Developed priority strategies, health performance indicators, and case examples highlighting successful local projects;
- Coordinated an expert Health Advisory Team; and
- Health Impact Assessments were conducted by UNC partners from Environmental Sciences and Engineering.
Funding Partner: Alta/Greenways
- Focus group of professionals, advocates, and other stakeholders
- Literature review
- Development of plan content
- Oversight of health impact assessments
“Throughout my 30 years of working with communities and partners, health has become more and more important. We were fortunate to have [Healthy Places by Design] bring their unique expertise to the WalkBikeNC planning process. Their contributions to WalkBikeNC were invaluable to our team and the client.”
Chuck Flink, Senior Advisor