The Sports Backers launched the Active RVA initiative to improve the quality of life for everyone in the Greater Richmond Region of Central Virginia through active living. Healthy Places by Design, (then Active Living By Design) provided guidance and support to Sports Backers staff as they created a robust Active RVA partnership made up of key local leaders and dozens of local organizations. The partnership, which incorporates the principles of a collective impact initiative, has the facilitative support of Sports Backers and strives to make the Richmond region the most physically active in the country.
Geographic Area of Focus: Richmond Region, VA
- Helped Sports Backers staff identify appropriate structure and build a strong and active partnership
- Supported and gave evidence-based examples for impact area projects and developed shared measurement indicators
- Facilitated Active RVA partnership steering committee meeting to validate, reinforce, and align thinking around a collective impact approach
- Provided ongoing technical assistance and coaching to Sports Backers staff
- Led an all-day site visit to Durham, NC for the Active RVA partnership to learn from and share lessons learned to advance similar initiatives
Funding Partner: Richmond Sports Backers
- Tool and resource sharing
- Coaching and technical assistance
- Strategic planning
- Measurement and evaluation
"Working with [Healthy Places by Design] deepened our expertise and put us in contact with networks and resources that are essential as we look at improving the quality of life in our region."
Ruth Morrison, Outreach Manager, Active RVA