W.K. Kellogg Foundation
Food & Fitness supported nine diverse communities across the country to improve the health and quality of life of children and their families by creating equal access to affordable, healthy, locally grown food and safe and inviting places for physical activity and play.
- Provided comprehensive active living and built environment policy and systems support to the Foundation, its multidisciplinary technical assistance team, and its grantee communities during the initiative’s two-and-a-half year planning phase.
- Delivered a variety of educational presentations and produced a Food & Fitness Planning Guide Series that helped build capacity for staff, partners, and youth to lead local change on active living issues.
Funding Partner: W.K. Kellogg Foundation
- Learning network co-development
- Coaching and technical assistance
- Planning for convenings and trainings
- Tool and resource development
- Capacity building for staff and emerging leaders
“Active Living By Design [now Healthy Places by Design] was instrumental in teaching our community how to convene and focus groups around a common interest and how to understand and use the built environment to increase physical activity opportunities. As a result, the Philadelphia Food and Fitness Alliance was able to establish shared use agreements with the faith community allowing children to play in a safe environment.”
Vanessa Briggs, Managing Director, Health Promotion Services
Public Health Management Corporation