Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
The Healthy Eating by Design pilot project supported 12 Active Living by Design community partnerships in identifying and implementing promising healthy eating strategies in either school or community settings.
- Served as one of four Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Childhood Obesity Synergy Projects, providing a “learning lab” for integrated healthy eating and active living initiatives in low-income communities;
- Supported 12 multidisciplinary partnerships to integrate healthy eating and active living strategies in their schools and communities; and
- Implemented healthy eating “5P” (Preparation, Promotions, Programs, Policy, and Physical Projects) strategies in all of the 12 sites.
Specific services we provided included:
- Grant program design and management;
- Grantee network development;
- Coaching and technical assistance;
- Convening and training Events;
- Tool and resource development; and
- Field building with local, state and national partners.
“Through Healthy Eating by Design, those of us working in the nutrition and physical activity realm were introduced to a new concept—the use of a policy, systems, and environmental change framework to decrease obesity.”
Physical Activity and Nutrition Coordinator, Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department